Transcript of NPC Meeting on Future of the NPC June 1 , 2012

What follows is an unedited transcript of the Nonprofit Commons meeting held on June 1, 2012, focused on a discussion about the future of the Nonprofit Commons. There was also a fond send-off to Rik Panganiban, community manager of the NPC, who will be moving on to other responsibilities.

Read on for the full transcript….

June 1 , 8:30am PST

Plush Nonprofit Commons Amphitheater


• 8:30am Introductions
• 8:40am TechSoup Announcements
• 8:45am Mentors Central
• 8:55am Community Forum on the Future of the NPC
• 9:25am Farewell to Rik Riel
• 9:35am OpenMic/ Announcements


[08:31] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Ok lets get started
[08:31] Jen (jenelle.levenque): Morning Rik
[08:31] Glitteractica Cookie: morning!
[08:31] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Welcome everyone to the Nonprofit commons weekly meeting
[08:31] Rhiannon Chatnoir: /me waves
[08:32] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): I’m Rik Panganiban, communitymanager of the NPC
[08:32] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): I’m joined by Glitteractica Cookie / Susan Tenby, founder of the NPC and resident purple cat
[08:32] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Oh and Alebez, our colleague at
[08:32] alebez: good morning everyone.
[08:33] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Good to see everyone today!
[08:33] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): This meeting won’t feature any guest speakers and is more about community business
[08:33] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): We’ll get to that in a bit.
[08:33] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): But first introductions
[08:33] Chayenn: Monique Richert, Protect Yourself 1, Inc, Baltimore , MD,,, @PY1US
[08:33] Zinnia Zauber: Renne Emiko Brock-Richmond, Sequim Humanities and Arts Alliance, Sequim, Olympic Peninsula, Washington. @renneemiko
[08:33] HB Eternal: Harold W Becker, The Love Foundation, Florida, @lovefoundation
[08:34] Jen (jenelle.levenque): Bruce Hestley, Transgender American Veterans Association, Akron, OH,
[08:34] Panny Bakerly: Jeanne Booth, Freeport Historical Society, Freeport, NY; @FrptHisSoc
[08:34] Ronnie Rhode: Denise Harrison, The Garden for the Missing, and SLURL, Project Jason, assistance for families of the missing,
[08:34] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Please type into the text chat your real life name, organization, URL, location in the world, and twitter handle — or any combination thereof.
[08:34] Buffy Beale: Buffy Bye, Bridges for Women, Victoria BC Canada, @bridges4women
[08:34] Brena Benoir: Brenda Bryan, Preferred Family Healthcare,, @brenabenoir
[08:34] Adalace Jewell: Corine Van Hellemont, RoSa Library Brussels – Belgium, @adalace
[08:34] Gentle Heron: Virtual Ability, Inc.
[08:34] Glitteractica Cookie: Susan Tenby, Online Community and Social Media Director, TechSoup Global, San Francisco, CA USA @suzboop @techsoup
[08:34] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Rik Panganiban, / Nonprofit Commons, Oakland CA USA, , @npsl @betterverse
[08:34] alebez: Ale Bezdikian, Online Community Coordinator, TechSoup Global, @TechSoup, @alebez
[08:34] Jadyn Firehawk: Pixel To Pixel Foundation, in SL
[08:34] Zotarah Shepherd: BEACH College, Santa Rosa, CA
[08:35] jacmacaire Humby: Hi everyone
[08:35] Rhiannon Chatnoir: /me is Joyce Bettencourt, creative for, Boston area, @RhiannonSL
[08:35] Brielle Coronet: Clanranald Trust, Duncarron Fort educational museum Scotland
[08:36] Dancers Yao: Kara Bennett, Elder Voices, Los Angeles, CA Health Care and Human Rights
[08:36] jacmacaire Humby: Jacques Macaire HUMANBE Action Tank and Council on Sustianble development France and International @Humanbe
[08:36] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Scotland and France!
[08:37] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): oh and Holland!
[08:37] Frans Charming: Jeroen Frans, Virtual World Technology expert @, Amsterdam, @Frans
[08:37] Frans Charming: 🙂
[08:37] Brielle Coronet: <–very new here
[08:37] Brielle Coronet: with NPC
[08:37] Glitteractica Cookie: welcome to our new members!
[08:37] Jen (jenelle.levenque): Welcome Brielle
[08:37] Zinnia Zauber: Welcome Brielle!
[08:37] Brielle Coronet: but not to SL 🙂
[08:37] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Welcome Brielle et al
[08:37] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): anyone else want to say hi?
[08:37] Gentle Heron: /me knows Brielle from waaaaay back in SL!
[08:38] Brielle Coronet: waves toGentle :)!!!


[08:38] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Then lets move on to TechSoup updates
[08:38] Nany (nany.kayo): hi.
[08:38] Nany (nany.kayo): lol
[08:38] Jerry Buchko (jerrybuchko): Good morning all 🙂
[08:38] Rhiannon Chatnoir: 🙂
[08:38] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Ale is that you?
[08:38] 01 Hifeng: hi all
[08:38] alebez: yep.
[08:38] Eowyn Atlass: Hello all : )
[08:38] alebez: i have updates this morning
[08:38] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): welcome In Kenzon
[08:38] Ozma Malibu: (Sandy Andrews – Floaters Org – AZ and Mexico – sorry, someone at the door.)
[08:39] alebez: Hello everyone! Here to give you some TechSoup updates and happenings.
[08:39] alebez: First up, we would like to let you know that the TechSoup website will be unavailable today through Monday on account of our Data Center Upgrade.
[08:39] alebez: Systems and sites will be operational by Monday June 4 start of business (Pacific time).
[08:40] alebez: On June 14th at 11am we’re having a webinar about how to maximize Microsoft Excel when you Want to create spreadsheets that help fulfill the mission of your nonprofit or library.
[08:40] alebez: That webinar is on Thursday, June 14 at 11 a.m. Pacific time.
[08:40] Glitteractica Cookie: do you have the link handy for that webinar, Ale?
[08:40] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): (I need that. I’m hopeless at excel.)
[08:40] alebez: yep
[08:41] alebez: During this webinar, we will hear about some key features of Microsoft Excel that will allow you to enhance your spreadsheets and data. Visit to register.
[08:41] Glitteractica Cookie: all our webinars are free!
[08:41] alebez: And then on June 20th, at 11 am we’re having our Nonprofits Live interactive webinar series. Coproduced with Social Media for Nonprofits and Eventbrite, we will present clear strategies, tactics, and resources for using social media to ensure the success of nonprofit events. Come register for that event here:
[08:41] Jerry Buchko (jerrybuchko): Would any of the session content be useful to users of LibreOffice?
[08:42] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): Yay!
[08:42] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): Useful for those of you who create events
[08:42] Sarvana Haalan: awesome
[08:42] Jerry Buchko (jerrybuchko): Sorry.. referring to the Excel session…
[08:42] Brielle Coronet: takes note…must learn how to do excel spreadsheet~!
[08:42] alebez: And that’s all she wrote, folks! Thanks, all. Rik…back to you!
[08:43] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Jerry, I’m sure there are some lessons that are applicable to Libreexcel
[08:43] Jerry Buchko (jerrybuchko): Thanks Rik.
[08:43] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): if not exactly the same
[08:43] Rhiannon Chatnoir: if get good at excel, it can do quite a lot.
[08:43] Jen (jenelle.levenque): I’m using Open Office as it’s a lot less expensive
[08:43] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): OK now on to metnors central
[08:43] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): definitely, thanks Ale
[08:44] Panny Bakerly: (I just registered)
[08:44] Sarvana Haalan: I use OpenOffice as well


[08:44] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): who speaks for the mentors?
[08:44] Zinnia Zauber: Today we have Sar!
[08:44] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): cool
[08:44] Zinnia Zauber: Sarvanna, please.
[08:45] Veri Oddfellow: *waves cheerily* Hey y’all!
[08:45] Sarvana Haalan: Virtually Pinning.- A Brief Look at Pinterest
[08:46] Sarvana Haalan: What is Pinterest?
Pinterest is social networking site where the users post, organize, and share special interest photos, graphics or videos on the provided space (categories) known as “boards” or “pinboards”. It was launched in March 2010 and already has over 4 million users today.
Pinterest’s mission is to “connect everyone in the world through the ‘things’ their favorite or interesting It allows allows its users to share ‘pins’ on both Twitter and Facebook, which extends your growing Pinterest community.[
The act of posting is called “pinning” and posted images that are called “pins”. You can post favorite travel destinations, wedding ideas, home decorations, favorite footwear. You can browse pinboards created by other people to discover new things, information, and connections.
I have been exploring it for a while now.
[08:47] Veri Oddfellow: Brad Lewis here from Great Strides, Damascus, MD @BfordLewis 😉
[08:47] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): Evonne Heyning @amoration in LA today
[08:47] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): on pinterest: 🙂
[08:47] Sarvana Haalan: Pinterest users can upload, save, sort and manage images, known as pins, and other media content (ie. videos) through collections known as pinboards. Pinboards are generally themed so that pins can easily be organized, categorized and discovered by other users. Pinterest acts as a personalized media platform, whereby your own content as well as anyone else’s uploaded pins can be browsed on the main page. Users can then save their favourite pins to one of their own boards using the ‚ÄúPin It‚Äù button. Content can also be found outside of Pinterest and similarly uploaded to a board via the ‚ÄúPin It‚Äù button which can be downloaded to the bookmark bar on a web browser. Check out my search for TechSoup‚Ķ.
[08:47] Sarvana Haalan: A look of cool pins
[08:49] Glitteractica Cookie: interesting … we don’t even really pin to Pinterest on my team. These are from others
[08:49] Sarvana Haalan: I use
[08:49] Sarvana Haalan: yes…
[08:49] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): I pin TechSoup-related things
[08:49] Sarvana Haalan: I post NPSL events as well as other folks
[08:49] Glitteractica Cookie: it’s great that others are starting our presence here
[08:49] Sarvana Haalan: But it puts TechSoup out there for a wide audience
[08:50] Sarvana Haalan: Main question…
[08:50] Sarvana Haalan: How to Get Started:
1. First, you must request an invite from Pinterest ( or ask a current Pinterest user to send you an invite.
2. Set up your profile and categorize your pinboards.
3. Connect to your Facebook and Twitter friends and followers.
4. Search other boards for “pins” pins based on your keywords or categories.
5. Be sure to pin, Like, pin or comment on any image or video that is pinned.
With interest, your nonprofit can share events photos, engage others with common interest, and promote your causes.
[08:50] Sarvana Haalan: Pinboards can be used by educators to plan lessons. Teachers can pin sites for later referral. Students can pin and organize sources and collaborate on projects.
[08:51] Sarvana Haalan: Pinterest users can upload, save, sort and manage images, known as pins, and other media content (ie. videos) through collections known as pinboards. Pinboards are generally themed so that pins can easily be organized, categorized and discovered by other users. Pinterest acts as a personalized media platform, whereby your own content as well as anyone else’s uploaded pins can be browsed on the main page. Users can then save their favourite pins to one of their own boards using the ‚ÄúPin It‚Äù button. Content can also be found outside of Pinterest and similarly uploaded to a board via the ‚ÄúPin It‚Äù button which can be downloaded to the bookmark bar on a web browser.
[08:51] Sarvana Haalan: It is such a cool social media tool…
[08:51] Jerry Buchko (jerrybuchko): (hmmm… hadn’t thought of Pinterest as a collaborative platform…)
[08:52] Sarvana Haalan: Creative thinking…
[08:52] Sarvana Haalan: Commerce
Brands like fashion e-commerce website use Pinterest as a virtual storefront for driving customers to their website. Many brands and small businesses are using Pinterest, following best practices to get traffic on their websites and buzz around their products.
Users’ Demographics
The site has been popular with American women and, in 2012, it was reported that 83% of the U.S. users were women. In Britain, however, 56% of the users were male and their age profile was different too, being about 10 years younger than in the U.S., where the age range was typically 35-44.
Retail companies have taken advantage of Pinterest for advertising and style trending. The web design provides an ideal layout for ‚Äústyle conscious retailers”, where products can easily be visualized within a consumer context. Companies like The Gap, Chobani, Nordstrom and West Elm use Pinterest as a tool for online referrals that link users with similar interests to a company.
[08:52] BELOVEDROX: Is it accessible and readable by screenreaders
[08:52] Sarvana Haalan: It is a great way to reach women especially American women when you look at th eDemographics
[08:53] Sarvana Haalan: Yes… it is web-based.
[08:53] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): many people ahve seen the commerical applications. How are nonprofits using it?
[08:53] Rhiannon Chatnoir: Beloved, though the content is mostly image focused, so would think it would only be as good as someone’e comments/notes on what they pin
[08:53] Sarvana Haalan: I post AIDS awareness messages on the CHA
[08:53] Sarvana Haalan: RE Project
[08:54] Gentle Heron: Images can be described in text.
[08:54] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): think about giving context in your text
[08:54] Sarvana Haalan: I even post rl posters
[08:54] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): framing the story when you pin
[08:54] Gentle Heron: (but that’s another topic)
[08:54] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): and yes, I get more repins than retweets by far
[08:54] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): huge traffic
[08:54] Sarvana Haalan: The only concern has been… Copyright
[08:54] Sarvana Haalan: Copyrighted content
Pinterest has a notification system which allows copyright holders to request that content be removed from the site. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) safe harbor status of Pinterest has been questioned given that it actively promotes its users to copy to Pinterest, for their use, any image on the internet. Pinterest users cannot claim safe harbor status and as such are exposed to possible legal action for pinning copyrighted material.
A “nopin” HTML meta tag was released by Pinterest on February 20, 2012 to allow websites to opt out of their images being pinned. On February 24, 2012 Flickr implemented the code to allow users to opt out their photos.
[08:54] DyVerse Jeffery-Steele (dyverse): wego health has a pinterest account and is used to show upcoming tweet chats and had a campaign to upload pictures based on health stigma’s
[08:55] Frans Charming: you can’t pin facebook pictures either.
[08:55] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): Also Facebook images currently do not pin directly, but lots of people pull images from FB and repin them
[08:55] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): there’s a bookmarklet that makes it a one click easy operation
[08:55] Sarvana Haalan: Your imagination will be what really limits the use.
[08:56] Zinnia Zauber: It is so interesting to people that the college asked me to teach a class in it this fall.
[08:56] Sarvana Haalan: my pins appear automatically on my Facebook Timeline once I linked it to my Pinterest account.
[08:56] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): (you should probably wrap up)
[08:56] jacmacaire Humby: If you want to know what we do with Pinterest
[08:56] Rhiannon Chatnoir: also there have been some nefarious uses for link baiting to other sites or using Pinterest as a means for hollow affiliate marketing spam with images that link through to such
[08:56] Sarvana Haalan: Perfect… that’s my presention on Virtually Pinning!
[08:56] Sarvana Haalan: Thank for th eopp!
[08:57] Gentle Heron: Very nicely done, Sarvana.
[08:57] DyVerse Resident: Applause!
[08:57] Zinnia Zauber: Thank you Sar!
[08:57] Buffy Beale: cheering, thanks Sar!
[08:57] Veri Oddfellow: /applause
[08:57] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Thanks Sarvana
[08:57] Sarvana Haalan: *the opp
[08:57] Jerry Buchko (jerrybuchko): Thanks Sarvana
[08:57] Zotarah Shepherd: Thank you Sarvana
[08:57] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): I’m a huge fan of pinterest
[08:57] Sarvana Haalan: cool… will look for your pins
[08:57] DyVerse Jeffery-Steele (dyverse):
[08:58] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): yeah please post your links to your pinterest page for others
[08:58] Frans Charming:
[08:58] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo):
[08:58] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): and for this group 🙂
[08:58] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Bether Kanter of course has already done some awesome work documenting the public good uses of pinterest
[08:59] Ozma Malibu: I won’t post mine yet cos I’ve just been experimenting so far, but now I have lots of new directions!
[08:59] Rhiannon Chatnoir:


[08:59] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): ok so lets move on to our main topic: discussing the future of the NPC
[08:59] Veri Oddfellow:
[08:59] Sarvana Haalan: Beth Kanter does awesome work on everything related to Social media… smiles
[08:59] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Thisis really thecontinuation of a conversation we’ve been having over the past month or so
[09:00] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): and will continue over the month and beyond
[09:00] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): In general, I think itsa good idea for a community to have scheduled check-ins about the vitality of their community, what is going well, what could be better, and how to move forward
[09:01] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): I wanted to kick off with presenting your own data from the survey many of you filled out
[09:01] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): But Glitter, was there anything you wanted to say at the top?
[09:02] Glitteractica Cookie: not really.. just eager to hear yr results
[09:02] Glitteractica Cookie: of teh survey
[09:02] Glitteractica Cookie: and thanks for filling it out, to those of you who did
[09:02] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Great so lets just start there
[09:02] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): thewonderful summaryof the results was done by Rob Foster of TechSoup.
[09:03] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Youcan see the slides behind us or here:
[09:03] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): We sent out this survey via various means to NPC tenants, members of our listserv, FB group, and SL groups
[09:04] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): We received 35 responses
[09:04] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): obviously the majority of those who responded were members or tenants of the NPC
[09:05] Gentle Heron: How many total tenants are there in NPC?
[09:05] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): 140 tenants, about
[09:05] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): I think we just added 1 , Blueberry Dreams
[09:05] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): shows there’s some care here, a good response rate
[09:05] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): (hi hifeng)
[09:05] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): yeah its a fine response rate
[09:06] Sarvana Haalan: what is the max capacity with the present spaces?
[09:06] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): We asked people what activities and services they find the most valuable
[09:06] Gentle Heron: 25% is not a particularly good response rate.
[09:06] 01 Hifeng: hi Rik, heh
[09:06] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Saravana, we’ll get into that later….
[09:06] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): let me finish wit hthe results
[09:06] Ozma Malibu: Gentle for online surveys it’s not actually too bad.
[09:07] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): the most “essential” activity was “trainings and workshops”
[09:07] Glitteractica Cookie: Gentle, statistically, it’s actually much higher than the norm for online (unpaid) surveys
[09:07] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): I think it’s great that 35 people care enough to invest time in this community, there’s some juice
[09:07] Glitteractica Cookie: agree In kenzo
[09:07] Nany (nany.kayo): Rik did a good job of reminding us to complete the survey
[09:07] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): followed by virtual office space, then the weekly meeting and networking
[09:08] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): so workshops are high on the interest list
[09:08] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): yes
[09:08] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): In the past we did webinars inworld as well, a mixed reality workshop format.
[09:08] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): which leads us to the next question: what services ./ activities do youwish we provided more of
[09:08] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): Do you think enough people would want to attend if we promoted those well?
[09:08] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Trainings and workshops was number 1
[09:09] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): simulcasts of real world events was number 2
[09:09] Sarvana Haalan: got my vote
[09:09] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): sorry forgot to advance theslide
[09:09] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): I’m wondering about the mix of the two that we have done in previous years, we’re not doing much on this right now and there’s a threshold of participation that’s needed to make it viable.
[09:10] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): we wanted to know how muchtime our members and tenants were spending in SL
[09:10] Glitteractica Cookie: In Kenzo, can u clarify which you are referring to? Not doing much of which of the two?
[09:10] Panny Bakerly: isn’t there a way to track that?
[09:10] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Panny, we do have ways
[09:10] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): but we also wanted to ask
[09:10] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): We used to bring our TechSoup webinars inworld but that hasn’t been a pattern in 2012.
[09:10] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): We do bring in OCTRIBE, but last time no one came.
[09:10] Glitteractica Cookie: ah, i see
[09:11] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): it was across the board,but many loggedin several times a day or several times a week
[09:11] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): which is not unexpected
[09:11] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): so wondering if we should be doing events differently here, promoting them more widely to the SL audience or just choosing different types of workshops & events
[09:11] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): this is helpful, thank you Rik
[09:11] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): We provide other non-SL services and social media and wanted to know which them were important to you
[09:12] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): The blog / website of the NPC was seen as the most essential
[09:12] Buffy Beale: I think it would help to start building the nonprofit attendance and from that the events
[09:12] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): with the twitter feed and facebook trailing in 2nd and 3rd
[09:12] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): email was surprisingly not very essential to many
[09:13] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): We asked folks about some of our special events that get hosted here and their participation
[09:13] ray2009 Hazelnut: If I could briefly chip in here. Other places like Book Island send out reminders. It has been hard to find out about this place
[09:13] Glitteractica Cookie: good feedback ray2009… we will work on that
[09:14] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): hi ray2009, good to know. we’ll get to next steps in a bit.
[09:14] Glitteractica Cookie: maybe Parhelion can send out inworld reminders
[09:14] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): well get to taht in a bit please
[09:14] Glitteractica Cookie: ok
[09:14] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): almost done
[09:14] Buffy Beale: So that brings to mind the idea of having small displays/1-prim signs scattered around other sims
[09:14] Buffy Beale: ok 🙂
[09:15] Sarvana Haalan: I can post signs in the Payens region
[09:15] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): so as in kenzo said, it does take quite a bit of work to bring in a webinar, stream a conference, or organize a big event at theNPC
[09:15] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): sadly according to the results most people either never or only once attended these more special events held here
[09:15] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): We can discuss which opportunities are valuable enough that volunteers are willing to work with us on them.
[09:15] Zinnia Zauber: People are excited about that prospect – Mixed Reality opportunities.
[09:15] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): Advancing the slides in a webinar where mixed reality would be very beneficial, for instance.
[09:16] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): This space is great for conversation around an event when there’s people feeding the conversation and working toward solutions together, but structuring the experience is important
[09:16] Sarvana Haalan: my local meetup folks are interested in mixed reality events… just have to identify a local team for the streaming
[09:17] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): We started providing regular updates from TechSoup about other events, services and opportunities that we are sponsoring orknowabout
[09:17] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Most of of your find those “somewhat essential” or “essential”
[09:17] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): which is good to know
[09:17] Glitteractica Cookie: indeed
[09:17] Frans Charming: Sarvana, where is locale?
[09:17] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): and it’s great to see many of you on our webinars, NPlive events, tweetchats
[09:17] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): thanks for making time to become experts in your fields 🙂
[09:18] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): And lastly, from our perspective at techsoup, it was good to know that the large majority of you are members or avail yourselves of the services of
[09:18] Veri Oddfellow: Yay TechSoup!
[09:18] Buffy Beale: exactly Veri 🙂
[09:18] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): Adobe CS6 – just saying for your designers out there…
[09:18] Sarvana Haalan: Baltimore City – Mount Washington
[09:19] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): there were many other comments , suggestions and complaints that you wrote to us, which we appreciate
[09:19] Sarvana Haalan: in Maryland USA
[09:19] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): for example, time zone issues of when events are held was cited a fewtimes as making it hard for some to attend
[09:19] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): several noted that we should find better ways to increase attendance and traffic
[09:20] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): I might have missed some important points that people madein their responses
[09:20] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): but that’s the general over view
[09:20] Veri Oddfellow: Well done, Rik! Very thorough … thanks!@
[09:20] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): This is obviously more a starting off point , than definitive
[09:21] Zinnia Zauber: Wonderful!
[09:21] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): But I think it does suggest some ways we could be working better as a community, and your core team can be supporting you and your work.
[09:21] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): So there’s some outreach/community building strategy to consider, some ways to refine communication as a whole, and a look at our offerings and how to create compelling experiences here
[09:22] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Glitter, this might be a good time to frame the discussion from the perspective of TechSoup
[09:22] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): (hi bulkalak, btw)
[09:22] bulaklak: hi
[09:22] Glitteractica Cookie: Hi Bulaklak… I will let you continue from Here, Rik and chime in when I see the right time
[09:23] Glitteractica Cookie: go on
[09:23] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): will do
[09:23] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): So to put it bluntly: the NPC is not being used to its potential. I thinkwecan all agree on that.
[09:24] Glitteractica Cookie: yes
[09:24] Buffy Beale: yes
[09:24] Ozma Malibu: yes
[09:24] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): We have a large archipelago of islands, many office spaces, many places where evenst could be occuring, and don’t have the traffic, events, or public presence to justify all that.
[09:25] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): We are the largest community of nonprofits in the virtual world. But we aren’t really growing.
[09:25] Glitteractica Cookie: We founded the community with the intent of having an innovative space for nonprofits to engage and network about nonprfotis and technology issues and to help answer tech questions. We hoped that providing virtual office space would encourage the networking to happen organically, via the stumble upon factor
[09:26] Glitteractica Cookie: meaning, you walk around, stumble upon an org and engage and network, but honestly, this place is not populated unless we put on an event , like the regular friday meetings, so we are wondering how much of the fc space is even what you want/need
[09:27] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): weknow that many of you find a lot of valuein having a virtual office space. But others set up an office and then don’t do anything with it of substance.
[09:27] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): I handle a few requests from Parhelion on office changes and know that some of you care about your individual spaces, but there’s not a lot of activity in them once they are built.
[09:27] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): So we want to be open to questioning our original model, and asking how can webest be supporting you and other nonprofits to use SL most effecitvely?
[09:27] Jen (jenelle.levenque): I track my traffic and the number of people who come to my office
[09:27] Jen (jenelle.levenque): It’s gone up of late and I’m not sure why
[09:28] Sarvana Haalan: So could each of us commit to inviting a colleague for a community “OPen House”… The flying chair tour is what helped to hook me… LOL, LOL
[09:28] Jerry Buchko (jerrybuchko): Do people really use SL and the NPC campus as a virutal co-working space? If not, what would be needed for people to find value in that?
[09:28] Glitteractica Cookie: the office hours and flying chair were part of the original plan, but seem to have lost interest
[09:28] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): Some people use more sandbox or public space and less in the way of offices.
[09:28] Ozma Malibu: As you’ve probably noticed, times have been hard. Nonprofit people get discouraged – they work so hard and then the need is even greater. So the networking here and the support are invaluable. What I see though is that just like in school, people use a variety of ways to meet. They meet here first but may communicate via email, FB – phone calls – Pinerest? – then back here –
[09:28] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): Right, we build friendships and colleague relationships in this space that move beyond SL
[09:29] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Ozma, right there is an ebb and flow, and a larger world of tools to use and explore
[09:29] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): a bigger nonprofit commons than just SL 🙂
[09:29] Sarvana Haalan: I communicate in other way but I need my Tuesday nights in NPSL… lol, lol
[09:29] Ozma Malibu: But, what I am saying is that this space also remains important
[09:29] Buffy Beale: yes I agree Oz
[09:29] Rhiannon Chatnoir: nod, though a lot of the presense time we have spent here has strengthened our interactions beyond NPC
[09:29] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): But not the kind of space that people are going to regularly “do work” in like an office.
[09:30] Jerry Buchko (jerrybuchko): But why not?
[09:30] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): more like a place to get energy, motivation, ideas, and trainings.
[09:30] Veri Oddfellow: I agree that this space is important, but it’s most useful for the tech-friendly.
[09:30] Ozma Malibu: We fly through the Internet and use all the spaces but this is home
[09:30] Veri Oddfellow: and those who want to network with others similar friends/new friends
[09:30] Buffy Beale: and to have the offices has been great but I would like to see us move to a tier system… the more you participate the larger the office
[09:30] Veri Oddfellow: It has not been useful for fund raising … for most of us
[09:30] Sarvana Haalan: I beg to difference… I conduct business meetings in-world… saves travel time… and traffic woes
[09:30] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): buffy , we’ve thought of that as well
[09:31] Buffy Beale: but not to turn away anyone who wants to have a sign or sall display
[09:31] HB Eternal: we use our office to meet with people and each other
[09:31] Buffy Beale: *small
[09:31] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): for some just having a small display might be enough
[09:31] Nany (nany.kayo): Seems like NPC needs at least one full sim to hold meetings of this size with or without offices.
[09:31] Glitteractica Cookie: yes, a kiosk model
[09:31] Veri Oddfellow: I has not been that useful for driving traffic to real world events, other than some visiting between us … which is great, but doesn’t generate larger numbers/revenues
[09:31] Buffy Beale: yes Glitter
[09:31] Glitteractica Cookie: yes, one sim, but maybe not 4
[09:31] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): for others, a regular classroom would be ideal, or a dance floor
[09:31] Jerry Buchko (jerrybuchko): Is there a reason why the other streams of communication/relating can’t be brought into offices inworld?
[09:31] Veri Oddfellow: yes yes … less sims, for sure
[09:32] Buffy Beale: depends how many less you’re thinking of
[09:32] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): creator/builder/producers/organizers seem to find value – a mix of public commons and more meeting spaces seems valuable
[09:32] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): franklyI would rather we had one sim that was much more vital than 4 that are ghosttowns
[09:32] Veri Oddfellow: There’s also the question of the learning curve for entry into SL … which is well known, but has gotten easier
[09:32] HB Eternal: we find SL and NPC to be quality of connection versus quantity of connection
[09:32] Buffy Beale: Down to one would feel sad to me
[09:32] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): deep relationships form here, yes HB
[09:32] Veri Oddfellow: People doing events online will find it more useful … due to the reach of the net and the regular users of their events/services
[09:32] jacmacaire Humby: 🙁
[09:33] Veri Oddfellow: Good point HB
[09:33] Ozma Malibu: So many beautiful spaces here
[09:33] Buffy Beale: I see there’s room to downsize but would like to at least have 2
[09:33] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): But what if it was one that was heavily promoted, had events all the time, and frequent public notice and press?
[09:33] Glitteractica Cookie: i dunno, 35-45 ppl every friday is a good number, and the quantity is steady and impressive for the five years we’ve been open. But only on the days we hold mtgs
[09:33] Sarvana Haalan: May I am being a “Pollyanna” … but “you built it now we must remember or show them th eimportance of the total space for them to “come”
[09:33] Veri Oddfellow: We are event driven, it’s true …
[09:33] Sarvana Haalan: *remind
[09:33] Dancers Yao: Our office space was just starting to be used to teach about human rights with a small group of students this past year. I think it will start to bring more people.
[09:34] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): andwe don’t want to take away from that Dancers
[09:34] Glitteractica Cookie: it’s what Rik said in his white paper 4 years ago, and it hasn’t changed
[09:34] Jerry Buchko (jerrybuchko): I think a virtual office space has to have more functionality built into it than just someplace to be virtually present.
[09:34] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): but you are the excpetion
[09:34] Veri Oddfellow: Also, as SL goes, perhaps, so goes NPC??
[09:34] Rhiannon Chatnoir: I would think before tier down that much, would have to analyze what you did want to keep. There is only so many prims, room in a single sim and if things are consolidated, would be tight
[09:34] Frans Charming: Suggestion, there are several SL only conferences, and RL conferences who stream to SL, and interact with them. Would having them host the SL part on NPC not be a good way to get people here?
[09:34] Jen (jenelle.levenque): I’ve had some students from a couple of colleges meet in my office to discuss social work issues
[09:34] Jerry Buchko (jerrybuchko): Just like a coworking space…
[09:34] Ozma Malibu: Floaters is expanding to a RL gallery but for the next 2 years we’d planned to use the NPC office space as the actuall location while we garner support.
[09:35] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): That’s good to hear Ozma
[09:35] Sarvana Haalan: This is my co-working space… LOL, LOL
[09:35] Ozma Malibu: For instance I am meeting with the City of Mesa next week and am giving them this address.
[09:35] Veri Oddfellow: Rik – to the point of heavily promoting … I wonder if co-branding with larger groups in the general SL space might be of use.
[09:35] Glitteractica Cookie: great idea Frans, but we’d need to be connected with them
[09:35] Zinnia Zauber: Our members are showing their artwork in our office because we have no RL location.
[09:35] Jerry Buchko (jerrybuchko): @Sarvana, Yes
[09:35] Ozma Malibu: I am inspired by Savana btw.
[09:35] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): For me, I would like the NPC to support nonprofits at whatever level of activity they are interested in: from one-off events, occasional check-ins, workshops 2-3 times a year, and the hardcore like you alls
[09:35] Buffy Beale: 🙂
[09:35] Veri Oddfellow: I’m thinking of “riding” on the back of another social group that would allow them to feel good and drive traffic to cause-related orgs/events.
[09:36] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Right now we are mostly just supporting the hardcore SL devotees
[09:36] Ozma Malibu: Veri, what a good idea
[09:36] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): there are several other more casual or experimental users that we could bring in more easily
[09:36] Veri Oddfellow: We get more attendees and they get to participate in causes … very hot, these days
[09:37] Veri Oddfellow: make friends and help each other at the org level, no?
[09:37] Sarvana Haalan: has a major role in their orgs
[09:37] Sarvana Haalan: OMG… my whole “soapbox” conversation got cut… lol, lol
[09:37] Buffy Beale: I think we could do more to make this fun to come to.. like having a treasure hunt or a sim-wide obstacle course; something fun to do
[09:37] Ozma Malibu: so it seems like we’ve seen the issue and have been working individually on different creative aspects
[09:37] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Lots of great ideas and suggestions already.
[09:38] Buffy Beale: lol Sar…
[09:38] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): I should mention the TechSoup context of this.
[09:38] Rhiannon Chatnoir: if do narrow it down to one sim, NPC will never be able to host an event larger than that one sim’s capacity at any one given time… so your numbers will remain in that 40ish since most sims 40 – 60 (with avatars, prims, etc) is all it can ever hold well
[09:38] Nany (nany.kayo): I still think NPC should encourage rather than discourage the formation of new nonprofits.
[09:38] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): So TechSoup initiated and continues to support the NPC as a free service for nonprofits for the past five years.
[09:38] Sarvana Haalan: I got great response from my Baltimore-based Tech.Social Change group…
[09:38] Ozma Malibu: The city has invited us to write up what we are doing for a newsletter, here
[09:38] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): there’s a huge prim issue to consider in any reconfig and thankfully we have awesome people here who can help sort through any challenge
[09:39] Glitteractica Cookie: Nany– I don’t understnad this comment: I still think NPC should encourage rather than discourage the formation of new nonprofits. Can u clarify?
[09:39] Sarvana Haalan: we will be integrating VW more into our discussions and activities… we are a NTEN member 🙂
[09:39] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): In order for that to continue to be a positive relationship, there needs to be a stronger connection between the NPC and the larger constellation of nonprofits and networks that TechSoup works with.
[09:39] Ozma Malibu: aha
[09:39] Nany (nany.kayo): Glitter, I was surprised early on that NPC discourages new nonprofits. I think people would be interested in learning how to set up a nonprofit and participate in NPC if they could get that kind of info and assistance.
[09:40] Veri Oddfellow: Yes, good point, Rik
[09:40] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): And the other events, networks, forums and products taht TechSoup provices.
[09:40] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): provides
[09:40] Veri Oddfellow: Nany, there are others that do that state by state in the US.
[09:40] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Nany, I would hope that we didn’t discourage new nonprofits
[09:40] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): Nany, we have looked at ways to support new nonprofits through many types of interactive events 🙂 More to come!
[09:40] Veri Oddfellow: For example – the Maryland Assn. of Nonprofits
[09:40] Glitteractica Cookie: yeah– that comment is troubling and confusing to me
[09:40] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): and in fact many of our members ARE new nonprofits
[09:40] Veri Oddfellow: They provide pro bono legal help and fundraising support … very targeted
[09:41] Veri Oddfellow: The trouble with new nonprofits is the value proposition of the time spent.
[09:41] Sarvana Haalan: ok… are there any nonprofits from Maryland or Baltimore signed up as members in addition to Chayenn and Lauren?
[09:41] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): So ideally we would love to see a more organic connection between our community here and other nonprofit communities that exist elsewhere
[09:41] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): some of our members here are just in formation or have not yet received official designation from their country, and I have personally helped quite a few orgs here figure out how to move forward. There are some great networks we can tap into, Rik is right on.
[09:41] Nany (nany.kayo): Based on your own repsonse to a question I posed a couple of years ago, Glitter. You told me that it was not a good idea to encourage people to start a nonprofit, rather encourage them to join an existing one.
[09:41] Glitteractica Cookie: and more nonprofit tech based activity going on here too
[09:42] Veri Oddfellow: TEchSoup has GREAT stuff for new nonprofits … NPC, not as much …. though it might be a good place for tech-friendly new nonprofits to get some in-depth technical assistance, taht could work …
[09:42] Veri Oddfellow: Kind of a “Meet the Expert” ….
[09:42] Nany (nany.kayo): I was looking for help applying for 501c3 and could not find any here
[09:42] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Such as environmental networks and coalitions, cause-based groups and networks, etc.
[09:42] Rhiannon Chatnoir: yes In Kenzo, in a lot of ways, SL has been a incubator of social good org/causes
[09:42] Glitteractica Cookie: Whoa, you are taking a comment that was in a totally different context
[09:42] Jen (jenelle.levenque): Nany, I’ve done quite a few 501
[09:42] Glitteractica Cookie: in general, if someone wants to start a nonprofit, it is best practice to see if one with a similar mission exists first
[09:42] Jen (jenelle.levenque): Let me know
[09:42] DyVerse Jeffery-Steele (dyverse): nods at Nany the most helpful person to me has been Jenelle with me trying to start a non profit
[09:42] Glitteractica Cookie: that is what i meant, so as not to reinvent what is being done well
[09:43] Glitteractica Cookie: That is what we were talking about
[09:43] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Nany is talking about the legal steps to become a nonprofit
[09:43] Glitteractica Cookie: but this is about the NPC
[09:43] Nany (nany.kayo): Sorry, that was the impression I got. I think workshops on setting up and running a nonprofit would be a good idea
[09:43] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): We’ve considered creating more content on starting new orgs Nany and will be sure to let you know what we’re up to on that front. In general it’s good to be wise when starting any new project, that you’re doing it in the most efficient way.
[09:43] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): which is not one of the core services we provide
[09:43] Brielle Coronet: is there a mentoring program here that helps walk a newbie np thru this group networking and how to best use the resources? i feel sort of lost
[09:43] Sarvana Haalan: I always ask if they are using TechSoup first? Then I share my past org experiences and then I share info about NPSL.
[09:43] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): but certainly one that would be useful to have here
[09:43] Jen (jenelle.levenque): Yes we have a group of mentors
[09:43] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Hi Brielle, we have a mentors group that helps nonprofits with all sorts of things
[09:43] HB Eternal: welcome to the beautifully diverse world of nonprofits… such uniqueness seeking ways to collaborate in spite of their individual agenda… sounds like a great new paradigm for our world
[09:44] Jen (jenelle.levenque): We usually meet right after this meeting
[09:44] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): including how to get started
[09:44] Brielle Coronet: ok when i joined the group i didn’t see that info
[09:44] Glitteractica Cookie: Which info, Brielle?
[09:44] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): about mentors
[09:44] Glitteractica Cookie: oh ok
[09:44] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Someone from them will be in touch soon
[09:44] Brielle Coronet: mentors
[09:44] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): So we need to move on
[09:44] Glitteractica Cookie: got it
[09:44] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): But this is a super rich discussion
[09:44] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): As someone who has gone through two fiscal sponsors failing in the last year, it’s good to have strong partners and lots of due diligence, and as we create a commons here of people who care about this sector we seek to help each other be most effective. Thanks Rik.
[09:45] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Again we don’t want to scare people, just get you thinking
[09:45] Brielle Coronet: is there a listing of events from this group so we can support one another’s causes?
[09:45] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): How can we make this place even more awesome, make sure that TechSoup gets the most bang for its buck, and support your causes and others like you to do great work here and beyond
[09:45] Jen (jenelle.levenque): I’ve proposed a leadership conference with workshops for nonprofits
[09:45] Sarvana Haalan: Brena, Lizzette, Coughran, and Zinnia were any offivcail or unofficial “welcome wagon” for me…They were helpful and made me feel included enough that I wanted to be a part of this community.
[09:45] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): That’s the challenge before us.
[09:45] Glitteractica Cookie: yes, it’s VERY hard to start a nonprofit, and we were just encouraging folks to partner up, rather than compete for funding with no experience b/c they believe in a acause, but again, that’s a different conversation, but an interesting one we’d be happy to host
[09:46] Jen (jenelle.levenque): I hope the mentors will work with me on it
[09:46] jacmacaire Humby: Sorry, but I don’t really understand the criticism, because you have so much refuse our participation, to change Eco Commons, that we no longer insisted to do something outside our walls..
[09:46] Nany (nany.kayo): Great idea, Jenelle. My fiscal sponsor, the Potlatch Fund, offers dozens of workshops that would be useful to all of us.
[09:46] Jen (jenelle.levenque): Glitter, I’ve done 5 sets so far and assisted a couple more, but only US
[09:46] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Jac, I know you have kept proposing something, but I’ve never really understood it. Of course we appreciate any help to revitalize the Eco Commons.
[09:47] Brielle Coronet: well we need a mentor badly 🙁
[09:47] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Perhaps it is a language issue, n’est pas?
[09:47] Glitteractica Cookie: sets of what… I’m missing the thread here, Jen. But if you are referring to leading that talk, let’s get you up here for a future NPC meeting
[09:47] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): Looks like a good idea to me Jenelle, there are many of you with good ideas ready to grow
[09:47] Ozma Malibu: Brielle, can you stay after this meeting and meet with the mentors?
[09:47] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): So the saddest part for me is that I won’t be here to help you further in this conversation.
[09:47] Jen (jenelle.levenque): I’ve done the IRS paperwork for 5 nonprofits
[09:47] Brielle Coronet: i wish i could but i’m at RL work atm and must go to a meeting
[09:47] Rhiannon Chatnoir: Jaccques seemed to be simply looking to see wht the future of the environmental focused NPC sim was and if he could work to revitalize it
[09:47] Jen (jenelle.levenque): Plus incorporating 3 of them
[09:48] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): So we should transition to the next agenda item, as awkward as that is….
[09:48] Brielle Coronet: <–is taking her lunch in office to be here
[09:48] jacmacaire Humby: When you want.. but we must discuss betyween the tenants concern by Eco Commons.. if it’s possible..
[09:48] Ozma Malibu: Yes inK! So many people have had such creative ideas on how to grow – perhaps if we share them!!
[09:48] Glitteractica Cookie: Jen– you are welcome to discuss that and lead an NPC talk on it
[09:48] Glitteractica Cookie: let’s talk about that later
[09:48] Sarvana Haalan: Gliieractica and Zinnia has a “rocking” presentation on Collaboration-Communication-Connection that we should show again here… it would be an excellent mixed reality event to introduce RL colleagues to NPSL
[09:48] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): (I know, I got you all excited, and now I’m leaving!)


[09:48] Glitteractica Cookie: I want to give Rik the floor now
[09:48] Ozma Malibu: Floaters has been watching Savana.
[09:48] Sarvana Haalan: ?
[09:48] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): I am going to miss having Rik here sooooo much
[09:48] Glitteractica Cookie: I want you all to know how much we’ve grown since Rik has joined us
[09:49] Ozma Malibu: Savana – you do such a good job, set such a good example
[09:49] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): ok let’s move on to my transition
[09:49] Glitteractica Cookie: we are so sad to see him go
[09:49] Glitteractica Cookie: 🙁
[09:49] Veri Oddfellow: Rah Rah Rik!
[09:49] Veri Oddfellow: Many, many thanks!
[09:49] Sarvana Haalan: What…. You are Not leaving us, are you?
[09:49] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): So let me say that it has been an honor and a privilege to serve you this past 15 months or so
[09:49] Dancers Yao: Nany, we found the application for the 501c process was always helped by contacting the government directly…people who will help fill out the forms and answer questions can usually be found on the nonprofit gov sites.
[09:49] Nany (nany.kayo): thanks, Rik. You have been an inspiration.
[09:49] Zinnia Zauber: Rah Rik!
[09:49] Rhiannon Chatnoir: thank Rik
[09:49] Glitteractica Cookie: Rik has been an amazing community manager here
[09:49] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): I’ve enjoyed your collegiallity, your company, your friendship, and your support
[09:50] Gentle Heron: Thank you Rik for inviting interesting guest speakers to talk to the NPC community.
[09:50] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): Honored by your work here, you have always made sure we are in capable hands and now is no exception 🙂
[09:50] Frans Charming: /me applauds
[09:50] Ozma Malibu: thank you, Rik
[09:50] jacmacaire Humby: why not coming on Eco Commons?
[09:50] Sarvana Haalan: Rik rocks
[09:50] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): And I think I have grown as a community manager since I have been here
[09:50] Jerry Buchko (jerrybuchko): Thank you Rik 😀
[09:50] Dancers Yao: thanks Rik…hope you will be here in some way
[09:50] Nany (nany.kayo): Dancers, yes. It would be good to get together and talk about legalities of nonprofits, fundrasing strategies, board formation, etc.
[09:50] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): So a toast to all of you and all that you do.
[09:50] Buffy Beale: Thanks for all you’ve done RIk, leading us each week and bringing in interesting speakers
[09:50] Jen (jenelle.levenque): Thanks Rik
[09:51] Zotarah Shepherd: Thank you Rik
[09:51] 01 Hifeng: thanks Rik
[09:51] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): I am proud of what I’ve done, but also wish I could have done so much more.
[09:51] Buffy Beale: all the blog posts too
[09:51] Jen (jenelle.levenque): My apologies, but I have to get back to RL
[09:51] jacmacaire Humby: Why not coming to see us in RL in Paris?
[09:51] Rhiannon Chatnoir: Rik it is always a pleasure to see in action and work with you in virtual or real life
[09:51] Jerry Buchko (jerrybuchko): bye Jen
[09:51] jacmacaire Humby: You will understand better what we are doing here.. 🙂
[09:52] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): As you have read, I have many hats I wear, and just one head
[09:52] Zinnia Zauber: Thank you Rik for you work here!
[09:52] Brielle Coronet: the beauty of sl is you can have more than one head lol
[09:52] Buffy Beale: lol Brielle
[09:52] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): I still do work for Global Kids, run, and started working recently at the California Academy of Sciences
[09:52] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): I can’t wait to see it Jac, and all of you at work in your cities….Rik is doing great work in SF and beyond and I’m sure we’ll see his robots on the interwebs frequently
[09:52] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Those other responsibilities are ramping up very soon (actually already have)
[09:52] Veri Oddfellow: LOL Brille
[09:53] Veri Oddfellow: *Brielle
[09:53] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): And rather than pretend like I can do it all, I wanted to make sure that the NPC was in good hands
[09:53] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): which thanfully it will be
[09:53] Rhiannon Chatnoir: always nice to have time to breathe and sleep
[09:53] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Glitter, do you want to tell them what the transition process is now?
[09:53] Veri Oddfellow: What? What’s that?
[09:53] Glitteractica Cookie: there will always be a place for Rik here, and with Techsoup, if he has time. We’ve really grown under his service
[09:53] Rhiannon Chatnoir: /me pokes Veri 😉
[09:53] Veri Oddfellow: *grin*
[09:54] Glitteractica Cookie: Yes, so… with that sad news, but confident that he will not be a stranger…
[09:54] Brielle Coronet: i have to leave for RL meeting but this was a great meeting and good luck to you Rik !
[09:54] Buffy Beale: Maybe open an office here Rik 🙂
[09:54] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): wouldn’t be the first one 🙂
[09:54] Veri Oddfellow: Tee hee In
[09:54] Glitteractica Cookie: We are having a split model of management, with Zinnia as interim manager and Rhiannon to continue in August as the new NPC Community manager
[09:54] Frans Charming: /me applauds
[09:54] Glitteractica Cookie: Zinnia and Rhiannon, can you come up here
[09:54] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): Woot! Thanks Zinnia and Rhi
[09:54] Veri Oddfellow: Yay!
[09:54] Ozma Malibu: Wonderful!!
[09:55] Frans Charming: /me applauds
[09:55] Nany (nany.kayo): yay, cool.
[09:55] Ronnie Rhode: Lucky us!
[09:55] Sarvana Haalan: Yes… the Global Kids or Betterverse office
[09:55] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): Both of these awesome women have been with us for years now
[09:55] Glitteractica Cookie: So, I have asked Zinnia to manage the community for the summer, and act as the interim community manager
[09:55] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): yay!
[09:55] Buffy Beale: Yeeehaw way to go Z and Rhi!
[09:55] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): WOOT!!!!!
[09:55] alebez: yaay
[09:55] Jerry Buchko (jerrybuchko): 🙂
[09:55] Glitteractica Cookie: and then when the summer is over, Rhiannon will take the reigns
[09:55] Zinnia Zauber: Thank you guys!
[09:55] Zotarah Shepherd: Yay Z!
[09:55] Rhiannon Chatnoir: yes, thank
[09:55] Rhiannon Chatnoir: 🙂
[09:55] Buffy Beale: Two great volunteers here so that’s perfect!
[09:55] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): she’s an amazing artist/creator and I hope we can bring in some great events with the two of them helping us create NPC
[09:56] Sarvana Haalan: Woot… Another rocking superhero steps forward…
[09:56] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): very happy the community will be in good hands
[09:56] Glitteractica Cookie: Both Rhiannon and ZInnia have been with me since the start, and they really understnad this community
[09:56] Glitteractica Cookie: my hope is we can continue to grow in the direction of having this community thrive and help nonprofits with their tech needs
[09:57] Rhiannon Chatnoir: I think our as well 🙂
[09:57] Glitteractica Cookie: i love the demos of new tools and the innovative guests that Rik has been bringing in with the mentors, so I just wanted to let Rhiannon and Zinnia say a few words, before we wrap this meeting
[09:58] Glitteractica Cookie: do u two have any comments?
[09:58] Zinnia Zauber: Thank you! I think it is important for us to support each other as a community.
[09:58] Rhiannon Chatnoir: as Glitter mentioned, I have been attending and part of the NPC meetings since they were held in their early days on the Library Alliance island. It has been wonderful to see them grow, evolve and inspiring to see that after all these years there is still a vibrant, core community here.
[09:58] Zinnia Zauber: We are pioneers and this is a great place to find folks that “understand” us.
[09:58] Sarvana Haalan: W~e a~r~e Community
[09:59] Glitteractica Cookie: Parhelion will still be the tech liaison and you can always still email with any questions
[09:59] Rhiannon Chatnoir: and hopefully that is something we can all work on nurturing and growing as we go forward. 🙂
[09:59] Rhiannon Chatnoir: aww Sarvana
[09:59] Zinnia Zauber: Let’s foster teamwork and communication.
[09:59] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): (LOL sarvana)
[09:59] Glitteractica Cookie: Thanks you two, and I look forward to working with you. With that, I am so sad to send off Rik, but let’s do it in style!
[09:59] Zinnia Zauber: What do I always say? You can’t have community without UNITY!
[09:59] Glitteractica Cookie: CHEERS to you Rik! you ROCK
[09:59] Rhiannon Chatnoir: /me hugs to Rik
[10:00] Frans Charming: /me applauds
[10:00] alebez: to Rik!!!
[10:00] Zinnia Zauber: Cheers Rik!
[10:00] DyVerse Resident: Applause!
[10:00] Veri Oddfellow: CHEERS to Rik
[10:00] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): oh no YOU ROCK!
[10:00] Frans Charming: Cheers Rik.
[10:00] Chayenn: bravo rick and good luck for ur future
[10:00] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): thanks gang
[10:00] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): And I know we went a little over for this meeting
[10:00] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): so thanks for sticking around as well
[10:00] Ozma Malibu: Thank you RIK!
[10:00] Chayenn: super
[10:00] Chayenn: great english
[10:00] Veri Oddfellow: By all … gotta trot!
[10:01] Jerry Buchko (jerrybuchko): Thanks again for all of your work on behalf of the community Rik! 😀
[10:01] Buffy Beale: Cheering Rik, you’ll be missed
[10:01] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): have a great day
[10:01] Panny Bakerly: Good luck!
[10:01] Nany (nany.kayo): me too. I plan to be around more now that my class is wrapping up. Have a great weekend, everyone.
[10:01] Glitteractica Cookie: He will be around.. we will make sure of it!
[10:01] Sarvana Haalan: innia rocks… Rhiannon rocks… but most important… Glitteractiica’s NPSL vision rocks in-world and in RL…. wooot
[10:01] Zotarah Shepherd: Best of luck
[10:01] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): Rik Victory Lap!
[10:01] Rhiannon Chatnoir: yes good luck RIk.. and I am SURE… our paths will continue to intersect
[10:02] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): sorry I don’t have a scripted cake for you
[10:02] Glitteractica Cookie: Rik is really one of my favorite community managers
[10:02] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Before we do, does anyone have any white hot annoucnements for the community?
[10:02] Glitteractica Cookie: this dude is smart, follow him on twitter @rikomatic
[10:02] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): If you’re in LA
[10:02] Buffy Beale: lol yes skate around the circle
[10:02] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): for now for the record?
[10:02] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): I’m giving a talk on social media for nonprofits at the LA Chamber of Commerce
[10:02] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): let me get my skates
[10:02] Sarvana Haalan: Good luck Rik… Do’t be a stranger… You are awesome, dude
[10:02] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): Tuesday at 7
[10:02] Glitteractica Cookie: sweet!
[10:02] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): it’s the first reboot of 501 Tech Club
[10:02] Sarvana Haalan: *Don’t
[10:03] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): so feel free to join us there, my in-laws are coming
[10:03] Sarvana Haalan: cool In Kenzo
[10:03] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): (nervous!)
[10:03] Sarvana Haalan: Live streaming???
[10:03] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): victory lap of flips!
[10:03] Ronnie Rhode: Best to you in your ventures, Rik!
[10:03] Jerry Buchko (jerrybuchko): lol
[10:03] Buffy Beale: yayy Rik nice jump
[10:03] Buffy Beale: lol
[10:03] Glitteractica Cookie: bye Rik!
[10:03] Zinnia Zauber: hot rod on skates!
[10:04] Mimika Bracula: hi Rik
[10:04] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): I’m heading out soon to a meeting but mentors, let me know if you need anything, Parhelion is sending me occasional notes
[10:04] Glitteractica Cookie: See you all here next week, with my new crew at the helm
[10:04] jacmacaire Humby: Good luck Rik!!
[10:04] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): sorry frans
[10:04] Mimika Bracula: i am new
[10:04] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): I’m around as you need a bit of help
[10:04] Buffy Beale: ok Ink thanks
[10:04] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): welcome Mimika
[10:04] Glitteractica Cookie: gotta run to the next meeting now
[10:04] Sarvana Haalan: “Hot Rod Rik”
[10:04] alebez: thank you all!
[10:04] Mimika Bracula: here and i want help
[10:04] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): ok we should wrap up this meeting and start up the mentors
[10:04] Zinnia Zauber: Let’s have our Mentor Meeting start at 10:10 please.
[10:04] Rhiannon Chatnoir: take care Glitter
[10:04] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): Mimika, someone will help you!
[10:04] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): great Mimika!
[10:04] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): Mentors – maybe you can check in wiht Mimika?
[10:05] Buffy Beale: we sure will Ink 🙂
[10:05] InKenzo at Amoration (in.kenzo): I must run to fix a building 🙂
[10:05] Rik Panganiban (rik.riel): big hugs to everyone here
[10:05] Jerry Buchko (jerrybuchko): all the best Rik 😀

Written by: rikomatic