TechSoup Global Donor Day
- Have one printed page with all access URLs, SLURLs and contact data shared across all places 24 hours ahead and make this available on all public channels.
- Prepare canned messages for hosting online chat, Second Life chat, Twitter and group notice posts shared with all organizers.
- Include all #hashtag keywords and @npsl information in every post for easier tracking throughout events.
- Make sure all hosts are confirmed, prepared ahead of time and assigned to specific tasks: chat moderators (+1 per channel), streaming coordinator, event producer, additional video/sound/tech assists, teleport & RL space services, PR/Outreach/Twitterer, live blogger, photographer, machininatographer.
- Get the word out two weeks prior, 2 days prior and the day of the event using all organizational channels, event listings and public calendars.
- Clear all bandwidth, firewall and streaming capacity needs on site at least 24 hours prior to event and test all streaming media before broadcast.
- Make sure your production team has contact info and a steady backchannel (we use Skype) to communicate across rooms/worlds during the event.
- Assume that all participants will not have enough bandwidth to run multiple programs and make all information available in every space.
- Reach out to associated groups the week before your event if not before: use SL groups, LinkedIn, Facebook groups and professional associations to help draw interest.
- Give your production team plenty of time to get settled in their new skins and give all hosts plenty of attention/technical time and care prior to broadcast.
Written by: Beth J. Bates